During the last two years, the NYG&B has completed a new office, established a new educational programming platform, redesigned The New York Researcher, and recruited new editorial leadership to The Record. The launch of the NYGB’s new website completes the first round of development of the “New NYG&B.” http://www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org/
Guides to Doing Research in New York Counties
With the help of a team of experienced volunteers, the NYG&B has begun to assemble individual guides to doing research in each of the 62 counties in the State of New York. Below is a list of County Guides that have been assembled thus far. Each Guide provides a compilation of resources available, with an emphasis on online resources, which might be useful to someone doing research in a particular county. Please note that the inclusion of a link does not constitute an endorsement of its content or accuracy. Although they have sought to include known, reliable sources, they have leaned toward the side of inclusivity; while all links might not be of equal value, an individual researcher is the best judge of what information might be of help to him or her.
If you are knowledgeable about the genealogical resources of a particular county and would like to suggest additions or corrections to one of their County Guide please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to join the County Guide volunteer team, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Bronx (Borough of the Bronx)
- Kings (Borough of Brooklyn)
- New York (Borough of Manhattan)
Free Information Available to Non-Members
- Getting Started on Your Family History with numerous links to valuable online resources
- Guide to Finding New York Vital Records
- Guide to the Fundamentals of Using The Record Online
- Guide to Genealogical and Historical Societies in the New York Area
- Guide to Heritage and Lineage Societies
- About Heraldry
- Hiring Professional Genealogical Researchers